Statement on the position of the Victim within the process of Mediation
With the considerable growth in restorative justice practice, many more victims are now being approached to be directly involved with the offender.
The objective of this paper is to ensure that the interests of victims are always met and protected.
Victims of crime have the right to:
– have their status as victims recognised by society and their position protected;
– full information about the process and the potential outcomes as well as information about the procedures for supervising the implementation of any agreement reached during mediation;
– information on where they can obtain independent service;
– equal access to legal advice before, during and after the process which should be included within the provisions of free legal aid;
– a choice weather to meet with the offender or to mediate via the mediator.