Human Rights in Democracy Center (HRDC) is non-governmental, non-partisan and non-profit organisation aiming to work for the respect, protection and fulfilment of human rights in Albania. HRDC was founded to improve the human rights situation in the country and advance the status of women, especially in counties’ rural areas. Through its multifaceted programs, the organisation combats violence against women, builds women’s capacity to engage in civil society, promotes a gender approach in the democratization process, and lobbies for laws related to gender equality. The Center’s strategies include direct services to women experiencing violence, capacity building of state actors, documentation, awareness-raising, and empowerment programs for women activists.
HRDC provides support services for victims of domestic violence, victims of all forms of discrimination, legal, psychological and social consultation, and does court representation for victims of domestic violence, discrimination. It also provides training to the police, judicial authorities, and local authorities. HRDC also monitors legislation and practice and carries out advocacy work as well as research and awareness raising activities. Part of its monitoring function relates to the enforcement of laws constitutional rights and freedoms from within a gender equality perspective.
Mission of HRDC is :
• To protect and promote human rights as an independent actor in civil society sector in Albania;
• To bring sustainable improvements of social position of women in Albanian society;
• To strengthen democracy through advocacy, lobbing, monitoring, litigation of improvement the legislation
• To empower vulnerable groups through education, awareness, training, capacity building, with special focus to women;
• To be the legal voice of voiceless on human rights issues;
Strategies of HRDC are
• Human Rights Defense Strategy; Monitoring and Documentation of Human Rights Violations; Human Rights Education (raising the level of legal consciousness of the population and protection of the legal rights and interest) and Human Rights Advocacy. The strategies are closely interrelated and they are likely to produce synergy-effects in a long run.